Beginning July 1, 2021; up to three (3) weeks of paid Parental Leave will be available to state employees as part of House Bill 146.
Qualifying life events include:
- The birth of a child.
- Placement of a minor child for adoption.
- Placement of a minor child for foster care.
Eligibility is contingent upon the employee meeting the following criteria:
- Full-time regular, part-time regular and temporary employees who have six (6) months of continuous service and have worked a minimum of 700 hours over the six months immediately preceding the requested paid parental leave date.
- Eligible leave amount: Up to a maximum of 120 hours of paid leave per qualifying event.
- The maximum of 120 hours is the same, regardless of the number of qualifying events within the year and across USG institutions.
- Leave may be used on a continuous or intermittent basis.
- Unused leave does not carry over for future use.
- Unused parental leave has no cash value upon separation from employment.
If an employee has one of the qualifying life events mentioned above they should submit a request for extended leave through OneUSG Connect Employee Self-Service.
GTRI employees and temporary employees requesting leave must submit their requests using the appropriate request forms. Request forms are located under Leave-Absence on the GTHR Forms & Guides website.
For additional information, contact your unit’s Human Resources Business Partner or representative or visit the HR portal in services.gatech.edu where you can access knowledge materials, submit requests, and report incidents directly.