Student Employment

We are dedicated to supporting student employees, managers, and the departments who employ more than 8,300 students across the Institute.

Contact Us

Have a question related to Student Employment? We can help! Go to the ASC Portal to submit your inquiry.

You Make Campus Sweet

Stop by the GTHR table to treat yourself to some sweets as a celebration of your hard work as a student employee and discover various opportunities and resources available in student employment!

Tuesday, April 9th

John Lewis Student Center

2nd Floor – Dining Hub

11:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M.

Career Alum Graphic

Attention New Student Employees!

Visit the Student Onboarding page to learn more about the required steps to complete onboarding.

Resources for Student Employers

Resources for Student Employees

Student Employee Types


These students are considered Student Assistants. They can perform many jobs within your office such as clerical support, web development, etc.


These employees can be categorized as:

  • Graduate Research Assistants (GRAs)
  • Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs)
  • Graduate Assistants (GAs)
  • Student Assistants

GRAs and GTAs are typically hired by the graduate schools to perform assistantships that are related with the student’s degree. Graduate Assistants and Student Assistants can be hired to perform tasks within your department such as clerical support, web development, etc.
More information regarding appointment of and approvals for hiring GRAs, GTAs and GAs can be obtained through the Office of Graduate Education and the Office of Academic Affairs.
Student Assistants.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

These positions are federal financial aid awards that allow students to earn money for educational expenses while also gaining valuable work experience. Note that FWS students cannot be employed in multiple jobs while in a FWS position. 

Students will need to be assigned a non-FWS category if: 

They were offered a FWS award and declined it  All of the award funding for academic year has been received 


For additional information on how to apply for an award or obtain a FWS position on campus, visit the FWS website.

  • Award period has ended 
International Students

Students with a F-1 or J-1 visa are eligible to work anywhere on campus as student employees. They will need to maintain a full course load and can work no more than 20 hours per week during the term. For more information, contact Global HR.

Other Types
  • Visiting Research
  • Coops
  • Internships