There are two types of deductions, voluntary and involuntary. Voluntary deductions are available to full-time, benefits-eligible employees. Involuntary deductions are required by law and include federal and state taxes.

Jump to: 

Have questions?

Call 404.894.4847, email​, or submit a ticket to request HR Support.

Vertical line, design, blue

Voluntary Deductions


Change Your Voluntary Deductions

  • Go to TechWorks then the Payroll and Compensation home page.
  • Select Voluntary Deductions.
  • To view or change an established voluntary deduction, click the Edit button for the appropriate row.

Load Your BuzzCard

  • Go to TechWorks then enter the amount to be deducted from each payroll (e.g., once a month for monthly and every two weeks for biweekly).
  • The amount will be deposited to your BuzzCard account by payday.
  • There is a $10 minimum deduction necessary. Please make your deduction in whole dollars only.

Transit Passes

Georgia Tech provides transit passes for the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA), Georgia Regional Transportation Authority (GRTA) Xpress bus, CobbLinc and Gwinnett County Transit. Faculty and staff participating in payroll deduction enjoy additional savings, as the pass will be deducted from your paycheck pre-tax, thus lowering your taxable income. Employees must submit deduction requests before the fourth of the month to purchase a pass for the following month. Deductions set up after the fourth will be applied to the next month.

  • MARTA pass purchased monthly at the BuzzCard Center: $55 for students, $72 for faculty and staff 

  • MARTA Breeze card purchased through payroll deduction: $62 (currently on a reduced rate promotion!)
  • GRTA Xpress Bus: $75/Green Zone, $110/Blue Zone (only available via payroll deduction) 
  • CobbLinc: $110 (only available via payroll deduction)
  • Gwinnett County Transit: $115/Zone 1, $165/Zone 2 (only available via payroll deduction)

How to Sign-up for Payroll Deduction (Full-time Employees)

  1. Click "Payroll and Compensation Home."
  2. Click "Voluntary Deductions."
  3. Click "Add Deduction."
  4. Click on the magnifying glass to search for the type of deduction.
  5. Select appropriate transit agency.
  6. Enter corresponding transit pass cost (enter half the total cost of pass for biweekly employees and enter full cost of the pass for monthly employees).
  7. Enter Deduction Start Date. This should be the first through the fourth of the month the deduction should start. This deduction will continue until a deduction END date is entered (it is not necessary to enter an END date at this time). (Example: It is January 7. You wanted to purchase a pass for February, but you've missed the deadline of January 4. Enter a deduction start date of February 1-4. Your payroll deductions will begin in February, and you'll receive your first pass for March. For February, you will need to go to the BuzzCard Center and purchase a pass until the payroll deduction kicks in.)
  8. Press "Save."

Picking Up Your Pass

MARTA, Xpress, CobbLinc and Gwinnett County Transit passes purchased through payroll deduction will be placed on a Breeze card that must be picked up from Parking & Transportation Services. Payroll deduction participants will receive an email notification when your card is ready to pick up.


How to Cancel Transit Passes

Employees must submit cancellation requests between the first and the fourth of the month to end the deduction for the following month. Cancellations made after the fourth will be applied to the next month.

For example:
Kelly wants to end her transit pass deduction for the month of July. This means she should cancel the deduction before the fourth of June. 

529 Savings Plans

You must have an active 529 account prior to electing payroll deduction. This election is available to all Georgia Tech faculty and staff. 

Vertical line, design, blue

Involuntary Deductions


About the Different Taxes

The payroll taxes, sometimes called "FICA taxes" , are collected under authority of the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA). The FICA tax consists of two parts, Social Security Tax with is 6.2% of your Social Security Taxable earnings up to an annual limit provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA) plus Medicare Tax, 1.45% of your Medicare Taxable Earnings, no annual limit is imposed.  Every dollar that you contribute to FICA tax is matched dollar-for-dollar by your employer.  On your paystub, you will see the tax detailed by Medicare and OASDI – this is the legal term meaning Old Age Survivors Disability Insurance, which is actually the Social Security portion. So FICA is nothing more than the tax provisions of the Social Security Act, as they appear in the Internal Revenue Code.

Generally, a nonresident alien (NRA) is subject to U.S. tax on their United States-based income. Most types of U.S. income received by a foreign person are subject to U.S. tax of 30 percent. A reduced rate, including exemption, may apply if an Internal Revenue Code Section provides for a lower rate or if there is a tax treaty between the foreign person's country of residence and the United States. The tax is generally withheld (NRA withholding) from the payment made to the foreign person.

FED are Federal taxes paid to the Federal government.



How Do I Change My Withholdings?

How do I change my Federal Withholding (W-4) or Georgia State Withholding (G-4) allowances?

  • Go to the Payroll and Compensation Home page.
  • Select W-4 Tax Information (or G-4)
  • Make your new elections.
  • Click the Verify Identity button and re-enter your login and password again. This is to ensure the security of your tax data. Be sure your pop-up blocker is disabled.
  • Click on Submit.
  • This change will be effective with the next available payroll.


How Do I Obtain My W-2?

Only W-2s from 2007 onward are stored online.

  • Go to the Payroll and Compensation home page.
  • Select Print W-2.
  • In the Calendar Year field, enter a year (from 2007 through the previous calendar year) in order to specify which W-2 will be printed.
  • Click the Verify Identity button.
  • Enter your Georgia Tech Account user ID and Kerberos password (the same login information used to login to HRMS 8.8 at the beginning of your session) and click the Login button.
  • On the Print W-2 page, click the Run Report button.
  • On the Security Information window, you will be asked if you wish to display non-secure items. Click the Yes button to continue processing.
  • Your W-2 information will be displayed. If you have specified a year in which you did not receive a W-2 from Georgia Tech, the following message will be displayed: No Employee Records Selected.
  • To properly print the W-2, click on the Adobe Acrobat printer icon (do not use the Print option available under the File menu). Click the OK button to send the W-2 information to the designated printer.


Form 1095-C

The Form 1095-C documents healthcare coverage offered to you by USG.. It is not required to be filed with your 2016 taxes, but please retain it for your records. You may also access your Form 1095-C online (through USG’s partnership with Equifax) via the Tax Form Management online portal; click here to learn how. This form is not accessible in TechWorks. For a listed of FAQs, click here.

Tax Resources

Need help withholding taxes? Below are tax forms and helpful resources.

Federal Tax Withholding
State Tax Withholding
  • State of Georgia G-4
    The State of Georgia does not support electronic changes to the G-4 State Tax Withholding form. To make changes to your G-4, print and complete the form and submit it to Payroll. 
  • State Tax Forms
    Simply click on the state, download the State Tax Form and submit it to Payroll - Mail Code 0435.
  • Federal Tax Withholding Calculator
  • Understanding Your W2
  • Notes:
    Georgia Tech is not registered in every state. Income tax is withheld in the state where you live and work. If you have questions concerning our tax registration, please contact or call Payroll at 404-894-4614.

    The State of Georgia does not have reciprocal agreements with any states. If you are working in Georgia, we must withhold Georgia income tax. If you are a resident of Tennessee, where there is no state income tax, you are mandated by law to pay Georgia income tax.​

Tax Return Information

Payroll will mail your tax documents — your W-2 Statement, which details taxable gross income and your 1042S, if you receive the tax treaty benefit — to your U.S. address on file with Georgia Tech as of Jan. 31.  You can update your address by visiting TechWorks at any time.

Federal Returns

You must decide if you need to complete the 1040NR-EZ and the 8843 Form, which are included together in a booklet or 1040NR. Note: Check Georgia Tech's library for all tax forms. For assistance, contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at

  • Atlanta: 404.522.0050
  • USA: 800.829.1040
  • International Questions: 202.874.1460

State Returns

Georgia State Tax Forms 500 and 500EZ — for assistance, contact the Georgia Department of Revenue (404.656.6286 or 404.656.409)

Tax Return Process

The deadline to complete the tax return process is April 15. Nonresident aliens: The Office of International Education has purchased CINTAX, a tax return software system designed to assist nonresident aliens with their Federal tax returns. Resident aliens and all other foreign nationals: Please seek the advice of a tax advisor, Certified Public Accountant, or the Internal Revenue Service for any questions you may have. NOTE: Georgia Tech does not provide any taxpayer advice.