All regular, full-time GT employees with the titles of:
- Research Engineer
- Associate I through Principal Research Engineer
are eligible for GTRC.
This program is available to Georgia Tech research faculty employees who are full-time (1.0 FTE) and have successfully completed at least twelve (12) months of employment in a benefits-eligible position at the time of application. Time worked in a temporary position does not count toward the 12-month eligibility requirement.
Research faculty should first review the eligibility requirements for the TAP program: If ineligible for the TAP program, research faculty may then apply for the GTRC program.
Each eligible employee may seek reimbursement for completed courses at accredited institutions. The current reimbursement rate is actual tuition and fees incurred up to $15,000 per calendar year. The GTRC board approves the budgeted amount available for the program each fiscal year. Applicants are accepted on a first-come-first serve basis dependent upon funding available.
An employee will be required to go through the regular student admissions process prior to applying for the GTRC program. Coursework must be related to their current Georgia Tech job or career or to a career that may be found on campus. A career-related course has an understandable connection with the career or job the employee might reasonably expect to pursue at Georgia Tech. Approved programs include degree and diploma programs as well as certifications that offer credit hours and letter grades.
An application must be completed and submitted prior to the start of each semester for which the employee is requesting reimbursement. The application requires approval by the employee’s supervisor. The employee’s supervisor is responsible for determining if course work selected is job or career-related for the employee.
If employee enrolls in classes other than those listed on the original application, employee must send an email notification of the change within 30 days of when class starts.
Employees must receive a grade of C or above to receive reimbursement.
An application may be denied due to lack of funding or late submission of application. Any falsification or misrepresentation of information will result in the denial of tuition reimbursement.
- Apply for school through the Student Admissions office of the institution where you plan to take academic coursework during institution’s designated application intake dates.
- Complete the GTRC Tuition Reimbursement Assistant Program application. (Please see link to forms at bottom of this policy.) If you are unsure of the courses you are taking, include your best guess on the application. You may change courses later. Send your completed application via e-mail attachment to: Neil.Vitro@GTRC.gatech.edu.
- After you submit your application, you will receive an email acknowledging receipt and further instructions. Save the email for your records.
- If classes change, send an email (to above address) with the updated classes within 30 days from the class change. Copy your supervisor on the e-mail. You cannot request reimbursement if classes on your transcript do not match classes listed on your application unless you send a subsequent e-mail to GTRC.
- You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your class change. Save the email for your records.
- Once you have completed your course work, send an e-mail requesting reimbursement and attach proof of payment of your tuition and fees and evidence of your completed coursework with a minimum grade of C to: Neil.Vitro@GTRC.gatech.edu.