Georgia Tech Human Resources Records Department maintains the employment records for all affiliates, faculty, staff, student, and retirees who are documented in the Human Resources Management System, PeopleSoft.
The employee records consist of paper, microfiche, and electronic and are stored in a restricted area within Human Resources. These records are the property of Georgia Tech. See services provided below.
Review Personnel File
The employee file in Human Resources is the official employment file that contains the history of the employment relationship from employment application through employment termination. Only Human Resources staff and the employee’s immediate supervisor/manager may have access to the information. To review personnel files, please schedule an appointment 24 hours in advance.
The official documentation never leaves the employee’s file. Copies may be requested. Any discrepancies in the employee file should be initially directed to the employee’s hiring manager/department. The hiring manager/department should forward updated documents to the Records Room. Learn about access and restrictions below.
As a state university, Georgia Tech is subject to the provisions of the Georgia Open Records Act (ORA). The ORA states that all citizens are entitled to view the records of state agencies on request and to make copies for a fee.
Personnel File Review
To review your personnel file, you must first schedule an appointment twenty-four hours in advance. Click here to schedule an appointment with Records. You must also present a photo ID at the time of your appointment. You are not authorized to modify the personnel file in any way - this is considered a major violation of Institute rules.
To review a personnel file of your employee or an internal job candidate, you must first schedule an appointment twenty-four hours in advance. You are not authorized to modify the personnel file in any way - this is considered a major violation of Institute rules.
To review personnel files, you must first schedule an appointment twenty-four hours in advance. Click here to schedule an appointment with Records. You must also present a photo ID at the time of your appointment. We only guarantee availability for viewing records with confirmed appointments.
Changing Your Name & Obtaining an SSN
Click here to view information on how to change your name and how to obtain a social security number.
- Maintains Personnel Records — Georgia Tech Human Resources Records Department maintains a personnel file for each employee of the institution. The official records of employment include New Hire Documents; Employee Exit Check List; Personal Service Form (PSF); and records relating to benefits enrollment forms, offer letters, pay and compensation information, and records relating to other employment practices.
- Responds to Records Request — As a state university, Georgia Tech is subject to the provisions of the Georgia Open Records Act (ORA).
- Access and restrictions to viewing records:
- File reviews are by appointment only and require a 24-hour advance notice. You may email your request to any staff member in the Records Department. File reviews can be initiated by an employee reviewing their personnel file.
- Department managers/supervisors are allowed to review the performance reviews of their direct reports.
- Department managers, HR Business Partners/Representatives, and supervisors are allowed to review the performance reviews of job applicants external to their department upon consideration of being hired.
- HR Representatives are permitted to review files of the employees within the unit they represent.
- In all cases, photo identification must be presented at the time of the review and a Records staff member will monitor the review process to ensure the integrity of the file.
- An employee may obtain copies of documents from their personnel file. There is no charge for the first 10 pages, but there is a $0.25 fee per additional page, payable only by check made to the order of Georgia Tech.
- Access and restrictions to viewing records:
- Provides Separation Notices — This notice is issued to all separated employees of Georgia Tech stating the reason for separation and length of employment. These notices are sent out via mail twice a month, on the 15th and the last day of the month. Please note, student employees will not receive formal separation notices.
Georgia Tech Human Resources works to ensure that employees' files are accurate, relevant, and safe from improper disclosure. Federal and state legislative laws require certain information be gathered and maintained in employee files.
As a University System of Georgia (USG) institution, Georgia Tech follows the established Records Retention Guidelines provided by USG, which identify the retention type, period, reasoning, and disposition information.
The Institute follows the official USG Records Retention guidelines. See this clearly defined plan for a record retention schedules for reference.
- The Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program forgives the remaining balance on your Direct Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. (If your loan is private and not a federal loan, contact your service loan provider.)
- Federal agents may visit the Records department to view employee files by appointment only. This statement should be moved from Forms to Review Personnel File. Also provide more instructions to the Federal Agents on what they need to review GT’s Employee Records (ex. Federal Badge, Release Form, Privacy Act of 1974)