The E-3 visa category is a temporary, nonimmigrant category available only to nationals of the Commonwealth of Australia entering the U.S.
Georgia Tech sponsorship for E-3 status is available for the following employment categories:
- Regular Research Faculty
- Regular, Non-Tenure Track Teaching Faculty
- Tenured or Tenure Track Teaching Faculty
The job must meet one of the following criteria to qualify as a specialty occupation:
- Bachelor’s or higher degree or its equivalent is normally the minimum entry requirement for the position
- The degree requirement for the job is common to the industry or the job is so complex or unique that it can be performed only by an individual with a degree
- The employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position
- The nature of the specific duties is so specialized and complex that the knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree.
To qualify to accept a job offer in a specialty occupation the candidate must meet one of the following criteria:
- Have completed a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree required by the specific specialty occupation from an accredited college or university
- Hold a foreign degree that is the equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree in the specialty occupation
- Have education, training, or progressively responsible experience in the specialty that is equivalent to the completion of such a degree, and have recognition of expertise in the specialty through progressively responsible positions directly related to the specialty.
Maintaining Status/Employer Compliance
Changes in Employment
All changes in employment for an E-3 employee must be reported to Global HR before the change occurs. The employing department should complete the Notification of Changes in Employment e-form in iStart. If further action is necessary (i.e. an E-3 amendment), the department will be notified.
Length of Stay
E-3 status may be granted for an initial two-year period, with indefinite two-year increment extensions possible.
The dependent spouse, and children under age 21, of an E-3 principal may be granted E-3 status. An E-3 dependent may apply for work authorization from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. E-3 spouses who are appointed to GT academic staff or sponsored research staff must possess valid employment authorization.